Tabs

Monday, December 20, 2010

Zatarain's Blackened Chicken Alfredo

I work in an office that is downtown. Most "downtowns" have lots of little restaurants to walk to. Not ours. We have a "Crunchy granola" type place, a Quizno's and a Starbucks. Screw me.... There are others that are further away, but it's cold as hell outside lately and I don't wanna.  I don't want to move my car and go to a drive-thru because I got a good parking spot this morning!

So I bring leftovers or frozen dinners to work.  I found Zatarian's New Orleans Style Blackened Chicken Alfredo at my local Walmart for $2.78. It is "seasoned grilled chicken and penne pasta in a zesty, creamy cheese sauce". It's 10oz and 510 calories / 24g of fat (for those of you who care).  It elicited a YUM out of me at the store, so I bought it.

I nuked it up today, and when I took it out of the box, I was very underwhelmed at the chicken. there was about an ounce of teeny-tiny cubes that weren't blackened, but kind of orangey-red.  I guess 8oz of this dish is pasta and the rest is sauce.  Hmph, I sighed as I put it in the microwave.

4 minutes passed and I gotta say, it smelled good.  I took it to my desk and stirred it.  Win - the alfredoey/cheesy/cream sauce actually looked like sauce instead of milky water (I'm lookin' at you Healthy Choice).  It was thick and coated my little plastic spoon nicely.  It needed salt, so I think I dumped in 2 salt packets and stirred it up again, and took a bite.

I think it's a good meal.  The chicken FELT like chicken when I ate it, and the pasta was firm, and the sauce very creamy.  I ate it slowly because it was hot. There is a lot of parsely or some sort of greenery in there - it kept getting stuck in my teeth, so that's a drawback ONLY if you are a psycho picky eater like me.

I think that if I could get it BoGo (Buy One Get One Free) or with a really good Q, I would buy it again.

I give it 3 out of 5 whatevers.

No comments:

Post a Comment