Tabs

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Bridge of Lions 5k Race Report 2019


Okay, so this race wasn't even on my calendar for this year until last week. Hubby's schedule at work has been really weird, and I hate that "away games" (races in other cities) mean that I usually have to drop him off at work super early, so I held off. But once his schedule was posted, I saw that he scored a 5am shift, so I was registered real quick!

On race day, I was up by 3:45, with my OJ, and after taking Hubby to work, I hit the road. On the drive there, I had a major belly issue (lots of grumbling and bubble guts). It was a quiet drive until I hit State Road 100, and then it perked up (usually we'll get a lot of boaters on SR100 on their way to Palatka or St. Augustine at that time of the morning).

Once in St. Augustine, I parked at the finish line (see, I remembered from last year!) and hit up the Porta-Potties (especially since they'd be fresh and unused). I also left a beautifully thawing PowerAde in the trunk for me to grab at Mile 2.

Hard to see, but there is a park where all those trees are
I made my way to the Bridge of Lions, and just had to laugh... we got stopped by the drawbridge.


Walking towards the Bridge of Lions
Hell, yeah
This. Drawbridge. Hates. Me.
It sure is hard to beat the view, though
Once over the bridge, I headed down towards the fort, where packet pickup was busy, but not busy busy.  This year, we only got a tee shirt and a bib (I had the forethought to bring a swing bag this time so I didn't have to hold anything in my hands).

Super-soft black tee, with the logo in black; I love it, but many people didn't
After that, it was time to wander around to warm up, and blow some steam until it was go time.
 
Looking back towards the crowds
Beautiful
Foot Selfie!
I debated hitting up the potty... again... but after seeing the tremendous lines, I decided to chance it (spoiler alert... I was okay).

See the neon shorts way back there? There's more people behind them!
Finally, it was time to line up. I got my start line selfie, of course!


So. Many. People!
And, what has become a tradition here at the Bridge of Lions, we all sang the National Anthem.
 
I love America!
Off we went!  I was already tired before I even got halfway to the bridge! Geez... I walked up the bridge, then ran down the bridge, using gravity as a tool.
 
You guys... it's HAWT today
Soon, we turned off of A1A and into Davis Shores, where it's quiet and lovely.

Yes, water!
At Mile 2, you come very close to the finish line, but you have to go around another mile.

Hello, Mile 2
This is where I parked, so I was able to swap out my sling bag for my frosty PowerAde (and sweat rag).
 
BEST Idea Ever!
I finished the final mile strong (lol), and even beat my 2017 time by over a minute! My official time was 55:17 (pace 17:48), 1147th out of 1202 total finishers (that's a lot of finishers!!!). I was 661/703 female, and 79/85 for my age group.


Finisher!
I got my awesome medal, a baggie full of ice, and a deliciously frosty bottle of water and wandered around the "after party," snagging a few pieces of candy and a Rice Krispie Treat for later. There was nothing for me to stick around fo, so I headed back over to the car (I love that I parked so close! It's so much better than having to walk back over that bridge!!)

I emptied out my gear and put it back in my bag, and pulled up Garmin to find a close-by Circle K. I ended up driving the wrong direction out of the neighborhood, resulting in being stuck in a Right Turn Only lane, and I found myself crossing over the bridge back to St. Augustine proper... whoops!

Ha! You didn't get me this time, drawbridge!
I crossed back, returning to St. Augustine Beach, and since I was right there, decided to do an "After Photo" with the lions.

It's art
So fancy
You wouldn't get it
I cancelled the Circle K trip, and instead headed to Dunkin', where I changed out of my running clothes and into normal person clothes. I also ended up getting a Strawberry Coolatta with my donut, which was not all that good...
Meh, I'll stick with Diet Coke
I did a little shopping at Marshall's, picking up a few cute tops for work, had lunch at Panda Express, wandered the big Dollar Tree, then headed out of town. 

Another potty stop at the RaceTrac gas station, then grabbed snacks and hit the road for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment