Tabs

Monday, January 27, 2020

I Let You Win - Celebration Half-Marathon 2020 Race Report

Click on the Photo to Sign Up for 2021
Click on the Logo to Register for 2021
Saturday morning started with, of course, volunteering at our local parkrun. Originally I'd signed up to be a Barcode Scanner, but they already had plenty of people to do that, so I was just a Cheering Section and floating volunteer.

After a warm welcome home from Hubby, I did some dishes, we packed the car, and left around 12:30. We picked up lunch and drove down to Celebration, FL, and picked up my bib and swag at the Expo. I noticed that the course had changed when I looked at the map last week, so while we were at the Expo I asked why the change and was told that it eliminated heavy traffic around the North Village (original Mile 2-3). There were a few other changes because of that, but nothing major.

Race shirt (not Raw Threads, but it fits this year)
When we got to our hotel, I pulled out my wallet to go check in and started freaking out... where was my license? I searched everywhere... where the heck is it?? When I checked in at the hotel, I was able to show the agent a photo of my license (I always keep a copy of my DL for races and emergencies), and she allowed me to check in (oh, thank goodness!).

Once unpacked, I soaked in a hot bath (so tiny, compared to the huge tub from a few weeks ago) and chilled out. Hubby called the Kiddo, and she found my DL on the dining room table. Okay, whew! Now, just don't get pulled over and I'll be okay.

For dinner, I put away a massive stack of pancakes at Cracker Barrel. We hit up Wawa, returned to the hotel (oh, my god, So. Much. Pancake!) and slept the deep sleep of the carb-loaded.


My alarm was set for 4am on Sunday, and I finally rolled out of bed around 4:30, and we checked out of the hotel at 5:15. We got to Celebration and after pulling up to the empty school, we decided to see if we could find a closer spot.

Blue is where I parked; Green is Start Line; Yellow is Finish Line
We found a great spot on Celebration Avenue, just about 2 blocks from the start line (and maybe twice as far from the finish line). We were able to relax in the car (and avoid the freezing temps) for a while until about 6:30. We headed up to the start, got my good-luck kiss and made my way toward the back where the slow folks are. It is so cold this morning! I ended up in a base layer, tee, quarter-zip, and a throw-away jacket I got from my aunt; on the bottom I had my Xersion tights, Zensahs, skirt, and then gloves and a hat. It never got bad enough for Hot Hands, but I had 'em!
 
AKA: the Slow Fat People
I call this one: Sunrise over Portolets, with Trees
After the National Anthem, we were off! I started by walking, as I usually do, and I ended up already really close to the back. 
 
I hate seeing cop lights behind me
You NEED to Follow Nathan Pyle on Social Media (Go find him; I'll wait!)
With the course change, my Hubby Meet-Up Spot was now at about Mile 1.75, where he joined me on the course and I walked him up to the Publix corner. 
 
Mile 1, just beginning
By Mile 3, I was still walking, which I don't think I even realized... I took a Gu at the 5k mark and started my intervals. Not much of importance happened until Mile 6. 

Mile 2
For those of you who can't read backward, it's Mile 3
This photo doesn't do her justice; she's a bigger gal who looks to have lost a lot of weight - You Go Girl!
Awww, you'll make me blush
Thank you, Random Spectator, for the Mini Pretzels!
A hard to see Mile 5
Inflatable Row (there's more that you can't see!)
Usually, Mile 6 is right before the pretty Celebration sign on World Drive, but because of the change earlier, it was further along the road, and led to a new portion of the course - Celebration High School! I both was and wasn't looking forward to this. I was, because it was a new view, but I wasn't because I had to run a lap on the track. I have horrible memories from 7th grade gym class of being failed because I refused to run track. (My gym teacher was a tyrant).

Mile 6, at Celebration High School
10k Split (time 1:54:57)
Alright, bitches, let's do this! Sadly, I'd thought I hit "record" on my camera, because I wanted to prove that I actually ran (okay, jogged) the full lap, but apparently, I didn't hit the button. But trust me, I ran it (slowly), and I felt so fucking good when I was done! Like, take THAT, gym teacher!!

Once we finished a lap, we went around the bus circle. It would have been awesome to have the Celebration High School Marching Band right here, with some drum-heavy songs... This is just about the halfway point, and I needed a little pep in my step.

Dammit, I deserve a Drumline!
I take the Twizzler. Every time, I'll take it. Then I eat it and remember why I hate Twizzler!
I got passed by the first Marathoner right before their Mile 20 (my 6.5 or so), on the way back to the Boardwalk. I used this time to eat my packet of BelVita Bites (instead of another Gu packet); I think it worked out well.

He's hard to see, but he's right in front of the mile marker sign
Mile 7, onto the Boardwalk Area
Beautiful glassy water
We came out at a different point, which really messed with me, but again, it was a different view, so I was good.

Woo Hoo Volunteers!
Mile 8
At Mile 8, I was still feelin' pretty good (I made a recording of how I was feeling, but it was shitty, so I won't subject you to that). Also, except for trying to figure out if I was still cold enough to want my jacket, not much else happened from here til basically the end of the race.

Alright, bitch, you're mine
I thank you for your service, hand-me-down jacket
15k Split (2:53:25)
A tiny runner (child) with a Segway chaperone for safety
Once again, I have conquered the Motherfucker Mile™
Mile 11 (the tiny red dot above the water)
Just before Mile 12, I got passed by this woman. She seemed hell-bent on staying in front of me (can't blame her; I do it myself all the time!)

Purple Woman will Beat You!
I can hear the finish line! I feel great!
I passed her a half-mile later, and stayed in front of her, up until we reached the start line area, where she passed me again. 

"She's right behind me, isn't she?"
Then, after making the final turn, I put on my "speed" and she must have thought that I was trying to "win" that she put on her speed. So I let her win. I'm nice like that. (But I could have taken her!)

Congratulations, Purple Woman! You beat me!

I congratulated her, but either she didn't hear me or she was ignoring me, so I headed to get my medal, my bottle of water, a space sheet (because yeah, it was still cold), and my food card. 

My official time was 4:08:21 (18:58 pace). 1728th Place out of 1760 Total Finishers, and 183/186 in my age group. My 10k split was 1:54:57, and my 15k split was 2:53:25 (which is actually faster than the Gate from last year!). There were 331 marathon runners this year, and 123 of them finished BEFORE I did!  

I am still SO cold!

I found a quiet area to "de-race" myself (I took off two layers of shirts) then I changed my shoes so we could walk back to the car.


I changed clothes at Publix and picked up some chocolate milk before we headed into to Kissimmee for lunch at Long John's. Yes... it was tasty. Yes... I regretted it later.

Hubby and I split a chicken & shrimp platter meal
But that's okay, because in a few hours... it's time for dessert.

I love this meme (just changed it a little)
We headed over to Beach Club and enjoyed their lobby and WiFi for a while, and while we were there we heard the sad news that Kobe Bryant and his daughter (and others) died in a helicopter crash. My heart hurt for his wife and surviving family.

Over the past year, Beaches & Cream had been closed for remodeling and renovation and this was our first chance to check out the (hopefully) new and improved space. I can tell you that it's pretty, and it's twice as big, but that means it's also twice as loud, because there are absolutely no soft surfaces to absorb noise.

All of that area is brand new (the booths are over there)
Hubby got the No Way Jose, and I got a two-scoop sundae, which - I believe - is smaller than before, but still just as tasty.

No Way Jose in the back; My sundae in front
2 scoops of vanilla, with caramel and whipped cream
I'm not happy about the changes to both the space and the ice cream, but not so unhappy that I won't go back (it's still better than The Fountain). We hit Wawa for road snacks and made it home by 7. And I was in bed by 7:15 with Herr's Cheese Curls for dinner! I've gotta go to work tomorrow!


***********************************************************************************
Hi, folks! Lazy here... 
Coming back and editing some of my posts from this year...
 
At the time of the original blog, we still weren't hearing a lot about this new-fangled disease in China, but on January 21st, the first case showed up in the US, a middle-age man in Seattle who had recently returned from Wuhan. On this day, the WHO also confirmed human-to-human transmission, after earlier saying it didn't transmit this way. The next day, when Trump was questioned, he stated that he wasn't too concerned with the Wu Flu, and that they had it all under control.  A few days later on January 24th, the Senate was briefed on the Kung Flu, and (allegedly) four senators sold stock thereafter, making thousands of dollars, prior to significant stock market declines. And in a move that would soon be felt across the entire Disney Universe, Hong Kong Disneyland closed on January 25th (as of June 4th, they are still closed).

No comments:

Post a Comment