Tabs

Sunday, February 6, 2022

Frozen Chocolate! - Miles for Meridian 5k 2022

This was my second time doing this race... well, third, if you count the virtual race in 2021 (I don't, especially because we didn't get a real medal, but just some cheap chocolate in a medal-wrapper). 

It was only a week after Celebration, so I was still a bit tired from that, so I just planned on doing 1/1 intervals and taking it slow. 

The run happed at Tioga Town Center, a large upscale shopping & residential area on the outskirts of town. I ended up parking in some random back parking lot, with plenty of time to get my bib and swag, and bring it back to my car. At home, I checked out what I got: 

Reusable Tote Bag
Bag scrunches into its own carry pouch
Lots of chocolate at this chocolate-themed race!
Candy and a stick-on cell phone pocket
Hand sanitizer, lip balm, dental picks, pens, and a great measuring tape (with level and post-it note pad)
But back at the start line, where it was dreary and overcast, we lined up, and I played avoid the people I know from work, while I waited for the race to start. 

Sometimes casual & informal races are what you need!
Not as cold as Celebration, but still cold to me!
Once the race started, I really just enjoyed being out there and moving my body again after last week. Nothing eventful happened until Mile 2.5 or so, when the woman walking with two teenagers caught my eye. She looked familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on who it was. Later, I checked the results and saw it was a co-worker from a job I worked at in the 2000s, and the two teenagers were her kids (one of whom had just been born when I left that position). Damn, did I feel old!

Anyway, I finished with a perfectly fine 55:11 time (17:45 pace). I was 184 out of 233 total finishers, and 114 out of 142 women. 

Medal shaped like a candy bar
I walked around the post-race area, picking up some of the goodies I showed you above then made my way to a local restaurant for a delicious muffin before heading home. I hopped into a hot shower to warm up then spent the rest of the day on the couch with a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment