Tabs

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Where is the Haunted Mansion?! - Evergreen Pumpkin Run 5k Race Report



So, I ran this a few years ago, and I was basically dead last (there was a course snafu)... I want to run the 10 Mile again, when I'm in better shape (and I can finish during the time limit), but I decided to give the 5k a try this time.

However... I was actually hesitant to go back to Jax, after my near-fatal accident last weekend. It really shook me, and I thought long and hard about not even coming. But I can't throw away money! So, I thew all my gear in the car and headed to the cemetery.

I arrived pretty close to go-time, so it was already VERY crowded. There was no parking left inside the cemetery, so I drove past, following other cars, and parked across the street from a laundromat.

It's hard to remember where I parked! So I take random photos of stuff nearby.
Once parked, I put on my costume - I was a Disney Tourist! I had Mickey Ears, a refillable mug (instead of my Nathan), a Mickey tee shirt, an "I'm Celebrating!" button, and I even carried a map. I thought it was cute (on such a short notice), and it was easy to run in.

Those lines behind me? Yeah, those are the potty lines!
The grave area is a big square, and I'm on the other side of it... the crowd goes ALL the way around

I was surprised this year that I didn't see nearly as many costumes as I did the last time. Maybe it was too hot...

Slow Girl Strategy - Don't start last, won't be last
The 5k and 10 mile runners all took off (in stages) at the same time... if that makes sense. All the 10 minute mile people went together, then the 11 minute people, etc.

My slow ass, of course, was near the back.

I didn't take many photos this time... the course is the same, there wasn't much that grabbed my attention, so this isn't a very photo-heavy blog post.

Mile 1 Action Shot
This mother and son/daughter were running completely covered in these Mobi suits. I don't know if the suit represented anything, but damn, good for you, mom!

How do you breathe?
I stayed with a large group for most of the race, which is a reason I like big races. 

Lots of people!
Around Mile 2, I picked up a Chatter. You know the type, other solo runners, who see that you're runnign solo, so hey, we should chat! Ugh... This Chatter was about 15, and he just kept going on and on and on... His mom and dad left him (to run faster), he likes his high school, this cemetery is awesome, wow, was that a train, why are they so many old graves here...? On, and on, and on...

Chatty Chet is breakin' my rhythm
I shed him once I got near the mausoleum roundabout, but I could hear him back there chatting with other runners. No offense, kid... I do these alone. I don't need company!

Mile 3 - I'm dead tired
I finally made it to the finish line, and was not surprised at my time. I didn't try very hard today. I got slowed down by Chatty Chet. And, well, I'm slow.  My time reflected that. I finished 57:20 (pace 18:26), and was 1259th out of 1402 total finishers (the race had 2,087 total finishers between the 5k and 10 mile!). I was 134th out of 148 in my age group.

Cute medal, and it glows in the dark!
I took a fun finish line photo with my Disney park map, then walked around for a few minutes.

Okay, so WHERE is the Haunted Mansion?!
This race doesn't have much of an after-party. I picked up a bottle of water and headed out of the cemetery and back to my car.

I made a quick stop at a local convenicence store to change clothes, then drove up to Mayport for lunch.

Basket of local Mayport shrimp, fries, and hush puppies. DELICIOUS!
After lunch, I did a little window shopping and headed home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment