Tabs

Friday, March 31, 2023

Gate River Redemption Plan for 2024


So, last month, I participated in, and had to quit, the Gate River Run 15k in Jacksonville, due to some wonky muscle issues along the right side of my body (my massage therapist said I was really locked up and it was very smart of me to quit). 

I spent the rest of the month basically having a pity party for myself. I only went to the gym 5 days this month. I only did one parkrun (volunteered at the rest). I only did one solo run at the park, last Sunday. Okay, okay, part of that was actual rest and recuperation for my wonky muscle issues, but most of it was a pity party.

But I've been fomenting an idea that, I think, will be beneficial for me, not only to get that Gate River Run medal in 2024, but to just set me on a good path in all physical activities. 

I modified my already-existing weekly exercise plan, and added it some goals to hit. 

I call it... Gate River Redemption (or "Fuck that Monster")

Mondays will be at-home treadmill days, utilizing Couch to 5k. I'll do Day One of each Week, as laid out in the C25k app. When I "graduate" C25k (after 8 weeks), I'll start over and aim to get faster each round. 

Tuesdays will be Leg day at the gym, with 5-10 minutes of cardio Warmup and Cooldown. 

Wednesdays will remain my Rest Day. 

Thursdays will be at-home treadmill days, utilizing Couch to 5k, doing Day Two of each Week.

Fridays will be Upper Body day, with cardio.

Saturdays will be parkrun (participating or volunteering), followed by Back/Core day at the gym, then stretching and yoga via YouTube or PeerFit at home. 

Sundays will be my solo walk/run days, outside, (no matter the weather), to include Couch to 5k Day Three. When I get within 'training distance' of races, this day will be my Long Run Day, with training walk/runs up to 14 miles. 


For my goals, I made a handful for three different categories:

Race Goals:
  • Finish a 5k under 40 minutes (current PR is 47:08)
  • Finish Gasparilla 8k under 1:15 (current PR is 1:23)
  • Finish a 10k under 1:30 (current PR is 1:32)
  • Finish Gate River Run 2024 under 2:30 (current PR is 2:37)
Strength Goals:
  • Hold a Plank for 2 minutes (Bonus: Hold for 5 minutes)
  • Do 20 Push-Ups (no time limit, within reason)
  • Do 25 Crunches in 1 minute
  • Wall-sit for 1 minute
  • Take Progress Photos every single week
Flexibility Goals:
  • Do a forward split (both legs)
  • Touch my toes from standing, and from sitting
  • Do 20 inches in a Sit & Reach Test
  • Do a Full Pigeon Pose (both legs)
  • Clasp hands behind back between shoulder blades (both arms)
  • Take progress photos of splits, toes, pigeon, and hands, every single week

I think that these are smart and do-able, but I also know me... if I hit 50 to 75% of these goals, I'll be more than thrilled with myself. Like, maybe I can't do a forward split, but I can do a full Pigeon Pose, I'll call that a win, and then move the split goal to next year. 

Tomorrow is a new month, which means tomorrow is a new day, and a new opportunity to do new things. 

Let's get it done!!!! That monster will not beat me in 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment