Tabs

Monday, February 27, 2017

Yo, Ho - Gasparilla Distance Classic Weekend (15k and 5k)



Saturday morning, I was up by 5am and dressed and ready to go by 5:45.  We parked again in our super-secret, not gonna tell you where it is, parking spot and headed towards the 15k start line. The 15k is the first race, and had about 9,000 total runners signed up (this included single racers and challenge racers, like me).

Roughly 2/3 of the crowd in front of me
Start Line Selfie!
More people behind me
The kiddo staked out an outside table at the Publix near the course so that she and the Hubby could suck up the free WiFi and eat breakfast while I run, which meant that only Hubby was there to see me off. I’m okay with that – I know she doesn’t really get into this the way I do, so she gets bored easily. Hubby is there for moral support, no matter what.

Soon, the race took off and we crossed over the Hillsborough River. (Once the crowds passed, Hubby would be following the crowd to the Publix). 
Such a sunny morning!
Up and over!
The aforementioned Publix
I got to Mile 1 quickly (*cough*quickly*cough) and I was feeling okay. Pretty good actually. For some reason, my PF hurt less when I ran, so even though it was probably slower than my walk, I “ran” for a lot of this race.
Mile 1 already!
Look at me! I'm running!
I passed the Rough Riders and got some beads. Last winter (as in three months ago), I found some empty plastic Christmas ornaments and decided to use some of my previous years’ beads to fill them. I think they’re awesome.  

I didn't even have to show my boobs!
I came up to Mile 2 and then after that saw this gorgeous house with a huge banner that said “Go Bolts.”  I saw many different signs like that on the course, so I spent way too much time trying to figure out what or who the Bolts were. (I looked it up later; apparently it's a nickname of the Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey Team).
Mile 2!
Dude, can I have this house? I'll pretend to like hockey!
After Mile 2, the first wheelchair racer was returning. I think the race took off at about 6:45, so he did almost 8 miles in 30-40 minutes! Wow.
The wheels on the bus go round and round... oh.
Not to be outdone, the first runner came back just a few minutes after the wheelchair guy.

I'm coming for ya!
At Mile 3, there was a new building being built that wasn’t there last year. Also, it only took 3 years for me to notice this really cool 9/11 memorial.

Mile 3 - 1/3 of the race is done!
They move pretty fast here in Tampa!
I'd like to come back and check this out
I passed Mile 4 and saw the Big Head Inflated Man, which meant it was time to turn onto Gandy.
Mile 4
Everything points to going right...
Which also meant I’d made it to the turn-around spot, and I was officially halfway done. 

I love the flag at the turn-around spot
Headed back to Bayshore
On the way back to Bayshore, there was a person in a T-Rex costume – these costumes are great!

"I thought they said RUM too!"
I was happy to see a “lot” of people still behind me (and they were 15k folks, not 5k folks!)

Cool Buff Guy was there again, this year with a sign that said “Think Finish.” He was dancing in the street, so I danced with him for a moment. 
Trust me, I'm thinkin' it!
I passed Mile 5. 
Mile 5 with Bonus Dog
I passed Mile 6.
Mile 6 with no Dog
Yeah, nothing really interesting happened…

After Mile 7, I passed the Rough Riders again; once all 15k runners pass them, they will pull their truck across the route and become the turn-around for the 5k race in a little bit. 
Mile 7
Rough Riders on the Move
I passed Mile 8, which means there is only 1.3 left to go!
Dear Lord, am I done yet???
Then I passed Big Head Inflated Man, which made it officially ONE MILE to go!
I wonder how many people "high-five" the BHIM?
Right after that, I saw the 1st 5k runner.  And then we were all moved into the bike lane so the speedy folks could come on through. I’m okay with this – I’m still on the race route (it’s when I get kicked up onto a sidewalk that really annoys me!).
Here comes the 5k!
Success, I’m in the final mile! Mile 9!
I'm almost there!!!!!
Last overpass!
The 5k – since it’s a short race – always has fun costumes. I saw a team of Dumb and Dumber, and a guy riding a “dino.”
I don't know which is Dumb and which is Dumber
Guy "Riding" a Dino
I ran into the chute and finished! 1 of 2 races done today, and 1 of 3 total races done for the weekend! For some reason, my results never showed up online, so I have to kind of extrapolate conclusions from the little bit of data I had available. Garmin said I came in at 2:44:58, which is what was shown as "predicted time" on the Results website, so we'll go with it. With that time, I beat 28 people and came in 5488th out of 5516 finishers. This made me next to last in my age group! 
 
Here I come, bitches! Where's my medal!
I got my medal and met up with Hubby. I got a cold washcloth from one of the finish line guys. Hubby gave me some Powerade and I sucked down a Gu while we walked back to the starting line for the 5k.  I was originally supposed to be in the Walker Wave, I think, but I ended up in the Red Wave. The 5k had a total of 15,790 runners registered (combination of individual racers and challenge racers, like me). That’s a LOT of bodies! 

Start Line Selfie #2
So many red shirts!
And somehow, within all those bodies, I heard a little “clink” noise. What was that? Oh, that was my medal, falling off my neck! The little ring that held the medallion to the ribbon was bent just enough for it to fall off. Luckily, I saw it fall and was able to pick it up. I tucked it in my pocket to exchange later.

It's cute... but it's broken
The 5k runs the exact same route as the 15k, so not a lot of difference here.

We went back across the Hillsborough River. While at the top of the bridge, I saw a lady fall and scrape her knees pretty bad; I still had my wet washcloth from the finish line, so I offered it to her to clean herself with.

Up the bridge
Down she goes
I got my required Bridge Selfie, then had to laugh – Hubby had caught up with me and was walking on the sidewalk along the race route! He was on his way back to the Publix where the Kiddo was saving seats. 
Bridge Selfie #2
Action Shot!
Rare Hubby Action Shot!
I passed Mile 1, and meandered my way down Bayshore. I’m not rushing at all; I’m saving the tank for tomorrow’s half-marathon.

Sign says "You Are Stronger than you Think - Keep Going" - I needed that this weekend
Mile 1 (No, that's not my time on the clock!)
"Worst Parade Ever"
"Keep Going, I'll Stand Here"
Maybe I should rush just a little bit… I’m getting beat by a dad in khaki shorts!
He looks like he got lost on the way to Whole Foods
Meanwhile, Jogger Dad tricked out his Jogger Stroller!
Up ahead, I see the Rough Riders, and I know it’s time to turn around and head back to the bridge.
What, no beads for the 5k?
Once I turned around, I was surprised to see how MANY people were still behind me!  That’s awesome!

Came through Mile 2. 
LOL, I'm gonna PR for sure - for Slowest 5k Ever!
Big Head Inflated Man announced 1 Mile to Go!
Wish I had some sunblock - the cloud cover is all gone!
Once in the chute, I pulled out my 5k medal so I could get my photo with it as I crossed the finish line.
Here I come again!
After I crossed the finish line, I traded in my busted 5k for a new one, got my 15k medal and met up with the family. My official time was 59:51 (my Garmin said it was 1:00:38, so I'll take the official time). I was 729/825 in my age group and I beat 1,106 people! I came in 10,423 out of 11,529 participants! Amazing!

We skipped the after-party, because long lines for warm Coke and yogurt aren’t really my thing.  We headed back to the car, and then once at the hotel, it was time for a hot bath!

Once I felt human again, we walked a few blocks to PDQ for lunch. None of us had had food here before, but we got one in our town a few years ago, so I was curious.  Hubby got tenders while Kiddo and I got chicken nuggets. The fries were “hand-cut” and not bad. Honestly, I would prefer Chick-fil-A over PDQ. They were good, but not blow-me-away good, and a bit expensive for what we got. 

Tenders and Chicken Nuggets from PDQ
Back at the hotel, we chilled for a while (maybe too long; my muscles froze up) and then went to Red Robin for dinner. Afterwards, we hit up Walgreen’s for some lotion; I got a sunburn today!

No comments:

Post a Comment