Tabs

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Shit's on Fire, Yo - Hula Hustle 5k 2017 Race Report

http://1stplacesports.com/races/ccyl5k/
Click to Sign Up!
And now, for a nice wholesome race - the Clay County Young Life Hula Hustle.  I was up and out of bed by 4:30. I drank some OJ and Twittered for a while, then woke up hubby and got him to work around 5:45.

After a stop at Circle K for some caffeine (which I drank hardly any of...), I had an uneventful drive to the BestBet in Orange Park. At first I thought I was going to have to park a ways away, but I ended up in a great spot about 10 cars away from the start line - score!

It's chilly this morning, only about 53ยบ, but that means that I won't be dying at the end of the race, so I was okay with it (of course, I stayed huddled in my car as long as possible!)

Hey, it's cold for FLORIDA!
I got my packet and went back to my car - where said huddling happened - and stayed there until about 20 minutes before the race began.

Pretty bib

I wandered around the start area, looking at the food (yeah, you know me!) and watched the Zumba people act like fools. But then.... when the next song came on, I actually joined in! I'd never heard the song before, but it was "Perm" by Bruno Mars, and it has quickly become my new favorite song. Thanks, Zumba Tony Little!

Start Line Area

Put some PERM on yo' attitude!

We all made our way to the start line, and as I tried to pair my headphones with my iPod, I discovered they were dead! Luckily, I always carry backups, so I plugged those in.

Hanging out at the Starting Line

I realized that the course would take me directly past my car, so I had my earbuds ready to toss in the trunk.

My car is about 6 behind that van
I hardly missed a beat! I had my key fob pop the trunk while I stood at the start line, flung my earbuds in the trunk and slammed it shut, all within about 2 seconds. Very smooth!

This race goes parallel to the St. Johns River, so there's not much to talk about. It's beautiful in the morning, and I love seeing all the great (and expensive) houses. The first runner passed me at about 13.5 minutes - I hadn't even made it to Mile 1 yet!

Beautiful day for a race

The route also goes by an Assisted Living Facility, and it was nice to see these two lovely ladies out to cheer on the runners.

Thanks for coming out to cheer us on!

The course is an out and back, so we went out... now we're coming back.

Yep, gettin' beat by a mom in a stroller

There is no hope at this point of any PR. I didn't expect there to be one. I've not been training very well. Or eating very well. Or taking care of myself in general. I've become apathetic, and I don't know what my problem is.

If I make it under 53 I'll be happy

I rounded the corner and was completely MEH about my time. My official time was  50:58 (pace of 16:24).  I was 31st out of 39 in my age group, and 337th out of 423 total runners, so I beat 86 people. I got leid at the finish line, and then leid again (the multicolor ones are mine). Too many leis!


I got leid so many times!
Oooooh, artsy

After the race, I hit up the snack table. I got a few granola bars, some water and a few pieces of candy.

They always have a GREAT spread!
I debated sticking around for the photo booth and awards, but I was tired. I decided to head out, so I ungeared (yeah, that's a word!) in the car and made my way to The Avenues Mall in Jacksonville. 

On the way over the river, there were these crazy low clouds. I had no idea what the heck was going on, but they looked ominous!

This... doesn't seem normal

This... seems even less normal
I got to JCP so early, they weren't even open yet. I guess I should have stopped at a gas station to change! I decided to be super-classy and change in my car. I parked under a tree, far away from the front doors and changed (I brought in panties and a bra to change into in a dressing room; I didn't wear that sweaty stuff ALL day!).

I picked up some new work shirts for hubby, a cute pair of Clarks Delana Verro sandals, a new skort and a few tops. I grabbed lunch at the food court - a 12-piece nugget and water from Chick-fil-A and a medium queso and chips from Moe's. Not a bad lunch for under $10! I walked around the mall, looking in a few other stores (Charming Charlie and H&M). I successfully avoided buying junk food at Cinnabon and the cookie store - yay me! I ran out of time to hit up Old Time Pottery, so I went over to Party City.

Seriously - what the hell is up with the sky? Is Vigo coming?

Okay, I'm pretty sure this isn't normal
Bonus points if you get the reference!
(I found out later that there was a wildfire in Georgia that was blowing smoke and ash our way!)


One of my most favoritest memes ever!

 Before going to Party City, I stopped in to a place called Five Below. We have a new one in our city, but I've not been able to get there yet, so I was curious what it was.

To me, it struck me as a Dollar Tree on meth. It was bad. Messy as hell. Dirty as hell. Trashy merchandise. I would classify it as "the store that whores get their yoga pants and home decor from."

 At Party City I picked up a cute car magnet that said "Welcome Home" as well as a glittery American Flag. I actually went to Party City to pick up a cape for an upcoming race I'm doing. But I love Party City and find any excuse to go there!

$6.99, chipboard. Still hanging on my office door as of February 2018

$3.99 car magnet, began fading after TWO WEEKS!!!

$6.99 velcro cape; good quality for what you pay
At this point, the sky was looking positively evil and I was running late, so I grabbed a soda at Racetrac and headed home to pick up hubby and chill the rest of the afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment