Tabs

Thursday, April 4, 2024

Total Eclipse Vacation: Day 1 (Flying for the First Time)


It's finally time!!!!!!


If you're new here, howdy! Last year, we decided to fly for the very first time, to go on vacation to view the Total Eclipse in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Stick around to read all about our adventure in the northern Southern US and the Midwest! 

For the past few days, Hubby's been fighting some sort of cold (hell, could have been Covid for all we knew...). Because of this, he'd been sleeping badly the past few days, too. Also because of this, we'd not been eating healthy dinners, and last night was no exception! I was going to make scrambled eggs, but the eggs were too old to use, so we ended up with a super-healthy dinner of ice cream and chocolate milk... On the bright side, it's full of calcium and protein!  

I was fully packed, showered, and in bed by 8:15pm, watching some TV until I had to force myself to go to sleep. I set my watch alarm for 4:45am, and was out of bed by 5:15am. I set about doing all the typical morning tasks (brushing teeth, doing hair), then drank some OJ and took Dramamine. I woke up Hubby and we were out of the house at 5:55am for our 7:05am flight, via our small, local airport that was 3 miles away. 

The parking lot was pretty full when we got there; we parked about 6-7 rows from the front door, and when we got inside, there were probably 10-15 people already in line for TSA - with only one TSA agent checking people in. I took out all of my stuff like liquids, electronics, and was then chastised by the TSA agent that I didn't need to do that (hey, how about telling us this somehow, like posters or announcements?) I made it through the scanner, but Hubby got flagged because he forgot to take his wallet out of his pocket. I got flagged for my stainless steel water bottle that I'd frozen the night before (3/4 of it was a solid mass of ice), and also for the small bags of Epsom Salts in my toiletry case. They had to take those out and test them for, well, whatever they test them for. Whoops! 
  • Lesson Learned - Don't bring frozen water in an opaque bottle
  • Lesson Learned - Don't bring Epsom Salts in your carry on
All in all, it took about 30 minutes to go through TSA, and we were already facing Last Call for Boarding when we got to our gate (there were only 2 other parties behind us to get on). And of course, by this point, there was no overhead bin space left, so after all of my planning and packing, we had to gate check our carry-on suitcases anyway... 

On the bright side, we did save $100 for not paying to check them beforehand, so I got that goin' for me. 
  • Lesson Learned -  Boarding Time is much more important than Departure Time
  • Lesson Learned - Gate-Checking is a smart way to save money (if you want to check small bags)
This plane had about 30 rows of seats - 2 on one side, 3 on the other - and those seats were tiny! Okay, maybe they were smaller than normal and I'm bigger than normal. But they were small enough that I couldn't maneuver my body to get anything out of my Personal Item bag that was stuffed under the seat in front of me, so it was a good thing I had my tiny Baggallini cross-body with my most urgent personal items (glasses, phone, etc). 
  • Lesson Learned -  have an easily accessible small bag for your most urgent personal items
We started taxiing down the runway, but got stopped at the end because of heavy traffic in Atlanta, as well as some bad weather, so we had to camp out for about 15 minutes before we finally started take off. I was curious how Hubby would handle it and how terrible I would feel. Thankfully, he did great and I didn't get too sick - it kind of felt like an unfamiliar roller coaster... I didn't know when the dips or rises would happen, so I was at the mercy of the track. If I looked at the wing, I was fine, but if I looked anywhere in the cabin AND I could see out the window (via my peripheral vision), my vertigo issues would kick in, and I'd have to close my eyes a few minutes to 'reset' myself. 

Once we got settled, I was just enthralled with watching the clouds and they were so freakin' beautiful when we got above them, like cotton candy below us. I spent way too much time looking at - and photographing - the clouds, which really was a great way to distract myself from turbulence. Oh, speaking of turbulence; someone a long time ago described turbulence as Sky Potholes, and it really stuck in my brain... The plane was fine, it just hit a pothole! There was no WiFi or seat-back entertainment, so I spent the entire flight (when I wasn't taking photos) playing Free Cell on my phone. 

We got into Atlanta about 20 minutes late, with an additional 20 minutes to deplane everyone. Using the Plane Trane to get from our gate to Concourse A was very fast and easy. Our connecting flight was loading Main 2 when we got there (we were Main 3), but I had to pee! Luckily, this gate was right next to a restroom, I I peed the fastest pee I ever peed, and by the time I got back, it was our turn to load. The cabin was mostly full at this point, but I was able to find a place for my carry on (well, my Personal Item that became my Carry On), but Hubby had to shove his under the seat again. 

We attempted The Middle Seat Game, where you book the window and aisle and hope that the middle seat stays empty, but we lost... We ended up with a young man between us, but he just slept for the entire flight, so maybe we won? 

This plane was bigger, with better overhead fans, and a little more legroom than the other, which was nice, since we had to wait in a long line of planes before we took off. It was cool to watch them all just line up like cars, to take off one after the next. I think we were about 20th in line, with another 10 that I could see behind me. Takeoff was much more powerful, since it was a bigger plane, too. I was able to get WiFi on this plane, but still no seat-back entertainment, so I stuck with FreeCell again. The Tiny Snack Lady came by and I got a tiny bottle of water and a tiny bag of tiny SunChips in Garden Salsa. They were meh. 

We landed on time and, because the Memphis airport is so small, it didn't take long for us to 'park' and deplane. Since we gate-checked our suitcases, we had to go down to Baggage Claim, and then trek over quite a ways to the Rental Car area. As we stepped outside, we were hit with chilly weather! It was about 55º outside! It was 70º when we left north Florida at 7am! 

Avis assigns a car to you in the app so that you can go right to it (no need for employees and check-in desks), but also gives you a few options. We were assigned a Mitsubishi Outlander, but could also have chosen a Chrysler 300 or a Buick Enclave. We didn't even think to go check out the other options (they were in other random parking spots), and just stuck with the Outlander, but in hindsight, I wish we'd gone with the Buick. On the upside, this Outlander is brand new, like It Only Has 5 Miles on the Odometer new, which was nice. Didn't have to worry about any previous scratches or smells.  
  • Lesson Learned - Check out all of the rental car options before choosing one
We pointed the Garmin to our lunch destination and headed out of the garage. Oddly, the Garmin said it would take two hours to get to where we were going; that seemed... really wrong. But we got on the road and followed the directions. However, when we got to the Mississippi State Line, we knew that something was fucky. 

{hushed whisper} - The part of Garmin will be played by Google Maps
I'd left the Garmin on "Avoid Highways," and the current route was a lot of tiny local streets and farm roads! Even now, in Google Maps, the route is smarter than what Garmin did (no state-line crossing).  I pulled over to the side of the road and used the Outlander's Nav system to take us to lunch (with highways!) Included the backtracking, it only took an hour to get us back to where we needed to go originally. 

The "normal" way to get to where we were going
  • Lesson Learned - Check your Garmin settings before getting on the road!
Finally at Tacker's Shake Shack, Hubby got a club sandwich with potato wedges, and I got a Bacon Pepper Jack cheeseburger with Tots. Hubby still wasn't feeling well and could only eat about half of his sandwich and a few wedges. Mine was tasty, but bacon and pepper jack cheese don't really mesh well together as well as I'd hoped. 

Our next stop was a nearby Walmart to get our grocery pickup (I did an online grocery pickup order last night before we left) then finally get ourselves over to the VRBO and unpack. Hubby just went and face-planted into bed once the car was unpacked - he's really not feeling well at all (fever, stuffy, sneezing, etc). I turned up the heater to warm up the house, and threw a few extra blankets over him once I realized he was dead to the world. I set about putting all of the groceries away, setting things out to charge, and chilling our sodas. I curled up in bed with him around 5pm or so as he dozed on and off. At this point, it felt like I'd read all of Twitter, so I played more FreeCell. Had some truly random and incoherent discussions with Hubby during those times when he was awake. 

Dinner ended up being two bags of lunch-box-size chips, two Little Debbie snacks, and two bottles of Ozarka water. By the time 'dinner' was over, I was assuming that going to St. Louis was out of the question for tomorrow... But that's okay; we'll play tomorrow by ear and do St. Louis on Friday. Him getting better is most important, because otherwise this entire vacation will suck for both of us. 

*Sadly, I cannot find the SD Card with all of my photos, so all I can share are my phone pix! If I find my SD Card, I'll update this post*

No comments:

Post a Comment