Tabs

Monday, September 20, 2021

Was It Mike Rowe!!!??? - Anniversary Adventure Day 2

I was up really early this morning - 7:30am - probably because yesterday we'd crossed over into the Central Time Zone, west of Tallahassee.  I lazed around for a bit before waking Hubby up, then going downstairs to pick up some breakfast (wasn't much, but I got some juice at least). We packed up and left, headed back to the historic section of Laurel to just walk around and look at houses. 

So... why Laurel, Mississippi? I can hear yourself asking. Why not more popular cities in Mississippi? Well, it's because we're dorks. Over the past few years, Hubby and I have chosen to binge watch one TV show before bed, and recently we'd watched a ton of Home Town on HGTV. We absolutely fell in love with Erin & Ben Napier (the couple who renovate the homes on the show), and fell in love with the town of Laurel. When I realized how close it was to us, it became one of the focal points in our road trip. It wasn't that much out of the way, and it seemed like it would be fun to walk around and say "I remember that episode! We saw that house!" 

Literally the only home I took a photo of... and I have no idea if it's a TV house!
Unfortunately, Florida Humidity can't hold a candle to Mississippi Muggy, and it turned out that we only had the patience to tour one street. We parked near the Laurel Little Theater and walked up NW 5th Avenue, passing the adorable little kids at St. John's Day School, the Rogers-Green House, the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art, and multiple bed & breakfasts. After a few blocks, we turned around and walked back, on the other side of the street, and came back to the car... it was just too stupid-hot for this (bad planning on my part!!!) We hung out in the car for about 10 minutes, sucking up that gorgeous air conditioning, then headed back out to walk around the city square. First, we popped into Sweet Somethings for breakfast, where we devoured a fresh cinnamon roll (he ate about 2/3 of it; it was a little too sweet for me, but would have been amazing if it were served warm and gooey). We also picked up two cookies, but we completely forgot we had them until we unpacked the car two weeks later! 

Not really sure why he made that face, but look at that cinnamon roll!
Yeah, we devoured it.
We were the only ones in the whole place!
Welcome to Downtown Laurel, Mississippi
The City of Laurel gets it!
Around the corner, we got a quick photo at the Laurel mural, took our cookies to the car, then drove over to the Laurel Mercantile. Yes, we could have walked... it was maybe .2 miles, but come on! Mississippi humidity! Anyway, once there, there was a sign that said Masks Required. Hubby opted to stay in the car, since we could only find one mask (though, once inside, no one was actually wearing masks, so I put mine in my pocket). Inside is very cute, and old-fashioned (exactly what they were going for), with lots of kitchen items, home goods, candles, and the like. I looked at all the tee shirts, but decided against buying any, since the fun shirts would be found across the street at The Scotsman. I ended up picking up a tote bag, a room spray, a magnet, and a few stickers. All in all, I think I spent about $40, which wasn't terrible, especially when you realize this is basically the "gift shop" for a popular TV show. 

Another Mural and Another Clint
Our next stop, and the one I was even more jazzed about, was The Scotsman General Store. If The Mercantile was "Erin," than The Scotsman is "Ben." This is the fun place, full of wood, leather, dad jokes, and snacks. I was looking forward to a few nostalgic glass-bottle drinks, a few tee shirts, maybe a wall sign or two! If we were really lucky, we'd be able to see Ben working in the workshop.

When we get there, though, and start walking toward the front doors, we are stopped by a lovely staff member who informed us that (sadz), the store was closed for filming. He very nicely offered to take a photo of us in front of Clint (Ben's blue truck), which we did, of course! Thinking back now, we should have realized something was going on... the entire exterior of the store - and the truck - was gussied up for Christmas! In September! 

I rested my left arm on Clint's mirror, but it just looks weird here
Upon further discussion with the staff member, they were filming the Ben's Workshop Christmas Special (duh). I cheekily asked who the celebrity guest would be, and he started hemming and hawing, like he didn't want to say. Eventually he said "I dunno... uh... I think one of those Deadliest Catch folks..." Hubby and I guessed that it was someone famous enough that it would cause a scene if people knew exactly who it was. As we walked back to the car, I said to Hubby, "OMG, what if it was MIKE ROWE!!!" (For those who don't know, Mike Rowe is the narrator for Deadliest Catch.) I would DIE if I were that close to Mike Rowe (he's so cute and hot and funny and hot and snarky and hot...waves away a middle-age hot flash). Later, we found out that it was not Mike Rowe, but Captain Sig & his (very pregnant daughter) Mandy Hansen, as well as tWitch and Allison Boss. 

Dreams of seeing the inside of The Scotsman, of meeting Ben, of flirting with Mike Rowe, crushed, we got on the road and headed to Memphis. First, we stopped at a Clark's gas station on US-84 and I peed in what might have been the most disgusting men's bathroom I'd ever been in (the women's was being cleaned, and I really had to go). Then, when I went to get a soda, they had large cups, but no large lids! I was told that the lids for the hot boiled peanut cups would fit, so I used one of those, and planned on swapping out with a lid I threw in the backseat of the car. The weirdness wasn't over, because as I brought my cup to the counter, the cashier whipped out a boxcutter, just inches from my face, and asked if I wanted the lid cut open so I could drink with a straw.... No, lady... I'm good. I just want to get out of here!

After a few hours on the road, we pit-stopped in Winona, Mississippi, solely because we are both kids of the 90s, and Primus' Wynona's Big Brown Beaver is one of the best damn songs of our teenage years. 


We found Winona City Hall and literally took photos of our beavers (behave) in front of the sign. Yes, we literally brought two beavers with us (because two beavers are better than one), on this trip around the Southern United States, simply for a five-minute photo op! What, you don't do that? Oh just wait!

I wish there'd been a better way to get the sign and the beavers in the same shot
Buc-ee, and another beaver I've had for years
We made it to Memphis and Beale Street by 7pm, right near sunset. We paid about $15 to park a block or so away (not bad for a tourist area).

Welcome to Tennessee!
Where we parked - Beale Street about 2 blocks west
Now, I've never actually been to Beale Street before, but... I was expecting more. The Beale Street part of Beale Street was only about two blocks! Sure, it had a pretty entrance/exit sign, and lots of murals and such, but it was the busiest, most-crowded, dirtiest, drunkest two blocks I think I may have ever encountered! And this was while it was still daylight! (To be fair, I've never been to New Orleans...)

The calm before the drunk storm
We stopped at the cool mural of wings made of music icons, outside of Tin Roof, for some photos, and a group of already-drunk ladies came up next to us, wanting to take photos as well. While I took photos of Hubby, one of the girls, Michelle, said that hubby and I looked the same and wanted to know how long we'd been together. She about fell over when I replied, "twenty-five years!" We talked for a few minutes, and after realizing she was already pretty blitzed, I gave her some good Mom Advice on holding her booze (you know, don't get raging drunk, alternate water and booze, stay hydrated, etc). Hopefully she listened and had a memorable night that didn't involve puking on a sidewalk!

Not sure why I cocked my head that way...
What a handsome guy
Again... why do I move my head this way? 
At the end of Beale Street Beale Street, we continued down to the river, so I could finally get my eyeballs on The Big Muddy. I took way too many photos (I'll spare you from the majority of what I shot). 

Tail end of a beautiful sunset to the west... 
... and the Hernando de Soto Bridge to the east
At one point, Hubby was looking at the Hernando de Soto Bridge (the one utilized by I-40, across the river), and he wondered what the other bridge was, and I told him that it was a bridge to drive over to Mud Island. He immediately declared NOPE, we ain't goin' there! (Remember, fear of heights and strange bridges). Uh, yeah we are... it's on the itinerary for tomorrow. We got in a fight about how I never told him about that bridge, or showed it to him, or cleared it with him, blah blah blah. And how I "must not know him at all" if I thought that he wouldn't freak out about this huge bridge... All the while, I'm trying to calm him down, that we've crossed bridges higher than that before without him even knowing about them, and he was fine. He was adamant that I was a horrible person for not warning him about this mile-high bridge... 

I refused to continue to argue, especially in a public park, so I just shut up and continued to walk around, taking photos, eventually climbing up to the top of Beale Street Landing, a weird raised area that was just a bunch of grass (I think BSL is the name for the entire area, not just the weird hill, but I'm not sure). Anyway, at the top, I asked him to "pretend he wasn't mad at me" so we could take a selfie together. After that, we made up and all was well again. 

That face... 
After the sunset, we headed back toward the car, and realized that, ooof, the trek back was uphill... suck! It also became apparent that Beale Street was much busier, and much more "Neon-awesome" after dark (it was amazing, I wish I'd brought my tripod for awesome night photography, but that may have been overkill). There were people everywhere, walking around with booze (not a shock), and I was being catcalled by so many bar bouncers, and there was an over-abundance of "Ooh Girls" (for those of you who are new, "Ooh Girls" are those ladies - or men - whose outfits or general look makes you say "ooh, girl!"). It amazes me what women think is sexy, or looks hot, in places like this! 
So much neon! Love it!
Selling all sorts of Light-up gizmos! Capitalism for the win!
Exiting Beale Street
On our way out, we asked one of the policemen (who were blocking the street) why there were so many motorcycles, and he said it was because Wednesday Night was Bike Night! Sweet! According to the website: 
Motorcycle enthusiasts descend on Downtown every Wednesday night to be able to park on the most iconic street in America! It's all about bragging rights and strutting your stuff with amazing motorcycles of every shape, size, brand and year. Come on down to this family-friendly event, and don't forget your camera!
Once we made it to our hotel for the night, I headed in to check in, and entered a Karening in Progress. From what I could piece together (both during the Karening, as well as talking to the staff after), Karen (a dude) was harassing the check-in clerk about making everyone wear masks. When I entered the lobby, he began yelling at Clerk (obviously, not his name) to make me put on my mask, bellowing, "If I gotta wear a mask, she gotta wear a mask, too!" Clerk, the entire time, is giggling, apologizing to me, and talking to the guy (in a nice, but sarcastic way... you could tell he was done with the guy). I even offered to mask up (though I damn sure didn't want to), but he said it was only recommended, not required (so I didn't put one on). Apparently, Karen had gone next door to a restaurant (not affiliated in any way with the hotel), and the restaurant told him he was required to put on a mask when he was there. Then, when he came back to the hotel, a hotel maid told him he should wear a mask (should, not must). So he decided to come down and bitch about the whole thing to the front desk clerk. He'd been going on for about 10 minutes before I came in. Oh, and shocker... this dude is also way drunk. 

I apologized to Clerk for having to deal with this bullshit, and he gave me the best response ever: "Ma'am, I got seven kids - all daughters - he's nothing!" Hell yeah, Clerk! You rock. 

We went upstairs to unpack and google around for somewhere for dinner, settling on a place called Dixie Queen. It was a few miles from the hotel, but the reviews were great, so we took a chance. When we got there, we wondered what we'd gotten ourselves into... It was a drive-thru only (like a Checker's), and it looked like trash. Like "bad neighborhood" trash. 

Only one wing? 
Photo unceremoniously stolen from the Intarwebz
But, these places oftentimes have the tastiest food, so we braved the janky drive-thru and long lines, to be rewarded with greasy bags full of delicious junk food. I got a single cheeseburger, Hubby got a double cheeseburger, plus a small order of battered, seasoned fries for each of us. All for about $14! And it was delicious. Even after driving all the way back to the hotel, it was still amazing...

Single Cheeseburger with Battered Fries
Afterwards, I washed off the grease with a soak in a bubble bath, then chilled with Twitter before calling it a night. Whew!

                                                 Shirt of the Day                                                 


Black Buc-ee's Tee
No link, that I can find
$14.99 In-Store Purchase

No comments:

Post a Comment