Tabs

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Correction to Last Week's 3.01 Mile Run Walk

So, once I came down from my Yee Haw High of being so fast, I went to Map My Run to enter my time and realized that my run was only 2.94 MILES!!  I didn't take a certain street during the route, which made me miss .07 of a mile.  Grrr.

I was determined that I would do 3.1 this weekend, so back at MMR, I set up a no-fail route, basically an out-and-back from my house.  It was actually 3.6 miles, but was able to see what street was at 3.1 miles, so when I was on the return trip, I'd stop my watch at that location.

All week, I was looking forward to this run/walk.  I made sure my MP3 player was charged, made sure my clothes were clean. I got myself psyched up so that I didn't let the couch suck me in. 

It started raining Saturday afternoon and was still raining Sunday morning. Sonofabitch!  I ate breakfast and waited for the rain to stop.  I checked my email. I checked my Facebook. Around 11:30, I gave up, did some dishes and ate lunch. Once I was comfy on the couch with my Publix Cuban sub, a handful of chips, a magazine, a cat and QVC - the rain stopped.  Sonofabitch!

After lunch, I threw on my gear and headed out the door, determined to beat my 52 minutes.  I walked down our street to Waldo and veered onto the greenway. It's nice and quiet, no creepy people who talk to themselves or smokers out for a stroll (I got stuck behind that guy last week...)  I was able to get in a few bouts of running, but even with the awesome new shoes, I think my ankles and shins just can't handle the sheer mass that they are being required to move so swiftly.  I feel like I'm near a 1:2 minute run-to-walk pace, which is good, but I know I can (and will) do better.

It seemed to me that the turn-around spot took forever to reach, but at the same time, I felt like I got there really quickly. It was kind of weird. I think it's because I drive that road every weekend and it seems weird to me to be ABLE to walk (next to) a road that I usually drive on.

As I paused to drink some water at the turn-around spot, I glanced at my watch.  I think it said 33 minutes. I knew then that I wasn't going to beat my 52 minutes.  I was kind of bummed, but used it as motivation to walk faster on my walk intervals and go just two or three more steps when I was jogging.

The walk back to the greenway exit was pretty fast, partly because I was now familiar with it's length and had made 'landmarks' in my head as I passed by them.  I could see street signs through the trees, so I knew when I passed the bread store or the flea market. I could SMELL when I passed Sonny's BBQ (I think I need to do lunch there one day soon, it smelled really good!) I began to see cars through the trees turning left and right, so I knew that the red light to my street was coming soon. It made me go just a little faster.

While I waited for the light to turn green, I checked my watch again.  I was about 5-6 blocks from the end of this walk and I was already at 49 minutes.  Bummed, still, that I wouldn't break that 52 minute mark, I powered on, running when I could until I finally got to the end of that 3.1 miles. I stopped my watch and looked down...

55 Minutes.

3.1 Miles in 55 minutes.Technically faster PACE than last weekend, but I didn't beat that 52 minutes.  Here's the pace breakdown.

2.94 Miles in 52 Minutes - 17.51mm pace
3.1 Miles in 55 Minutes - 17.49mm pace

However, I still must say that it is a lot better than I was expecting (I was thinking it would have to be at least an hour) and I did get a little choked up with happiness at that 55 minutes. I crossed the road when the light changed and made my way home.

I feel some trepidation about the upcoming 5k next weekend. I have a sad feeling in my heart that I will be dead last crossing that finish line, and I will probably get the pity claps and yells, but you know what?  I will have done the most important thing- I will have CROSSED THE FINISH LINE OF MY VERY FIRST 5k.  I will not quit, I will not give up, I will give it my all and I will cross that finish line, even if I am the very last person to do so.  There is no pity to be had, for I will have finished, and right now, that is the greatest thing in the world to me.

Then I'll go to Disney World :)

No comments:

Post a Comment